Lymphatic drainage is an advanced therapy in which the practitioner uses a range of specialised and gentle rhythmic pumping techniques to move the skin in the direction of the lymph flow. This stimulates the lymphatic vessels that carry substances vital to the defence of the body as well as help in the removal of waste products.
What are the benefits of lymphatic drainage massage?
The benefits of lymphatic drainage are considerable and are particularly relevant in today’s environment where pollution, stress and deficient immune systems make many people susceptible to contagious disease and viral infections.
The lymphatic system plays a vital role in the body by regulating the immune system. When the lymphatic system becomes compromised in any way, lymphatic fluid builds up and stagnates causing the entire system to become toxic.
Lymphatic drainage clears blockages, eliminates metabolic wastes and toxins from the body, helps in the transport of nutrients to cells and increases metabolic efficiency, all adding to the reduction of excess fluid and can assist in weight reduction. It also has a very calming effect on the nervous system and helps relieve stress and tension.
Lymphatic drainage is also a very successful beauty treatment for the face, improving the appearance of the skin and reducing puffiness. It helps rejuvenate collagenfibers and slow the ageing process.
What type of condition can it benefit?
Lymphatic drainage is used to treat a wide rang of conditions such as:
- Glandular fever, ME (Chronic Fatigue), Migraine, Sinus, Hay fever
- Recurring infections (cold, flu, ear, chest)
- Pre and postoperative cases (cosmetic surgery, cancer or where lymph nodes have been removed or the lymphatic system impaired in some way)
- Toxic build-up, oedema and fluid retention (puffy ankles, legs, eyes, bloating)
- Cellulite and excess weight
- Constipation and other digestive disorders
- Acne, Rosacea and other skin conditions, Scar tissue (old and new)
- Stress, Anxiety, Tension